Pages

Monday, October 24, 2011

Step No. 17 - Educate a hipster on what is and isn't 'Kafka-esque'

Franz Kafka: Victim of hipster
 ignorance for far too long. 
If one really things about it, Hipsters are, as a collective 'cultural' group, Kafka-esque. Their indulgence in the mundane is beyond annoying. "No, I don't really care that you're into this really obscure band. There's a reason they're obscure... they have fans like you." Oh, zing!

I'm not sure why hipsters feel compelled to label things as 'kafka-esque' particularly when the object/situation in question is not related to Kafka at all. They attribute all things ironic, paradoxical, nonsensical to poor ol' Kafka quite erroneously.

Someday soon–and since I'm living in an urban hipster hive it will likely be sooner than later–I'll be in a situation when one of those lowest of the cultural low tries to lay down some rhetoric to make himself appear more brilliant than he actually is. I'll ask him exactly how something is Kafka-esque and then crush him (like a beetle?) when he fumbles. I'm normally not one for confrontation, but I am a fan of school yard-like pissing contests. I get a juvenile thrill in taking down people in their own territory and revelling in the afterglow.

If all goes to plan, I'll slowly infiltrate the Hipster Hive to become their King so I can educate the obscure masses on Kafka and all those interesting French post-structuralists who everyone likes to quote, but whose works no one has actually read.

No comments: