Pages

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Step No. 20 - Practice ventriloquism with a study buddy in a quiet library

Which one's the 'dummy'?
Many baby boomers might claim that I'm too young to remember Edgar Bergen and his woody sidekick Charlie McCarthy, though growing up with Muppet Show reruns and Ed Sullivan Show retrospectives I was privileged to witness the glory of good ventriloquism. Of course, Shari Lewis and Lambchop made a middling comeback in the late 1980s with a series of direct-to-video specials and later the PBS series "Lambchop's Play Along." The tape "Shari Lewis 101 things for kids that are fun" was such a favorite in our household that I think we actually wore the tape to the point of disintegration. The sudden popular culture interest in 'voice-throwing' instilled in me a desire to learn this dark art. Alas, even with lots of practice I could never even get past "bottle of beer" without my friends calling shenanigans.

I call on you, dear readers, to take up the challenge where I have failed so many times. This post is inspired by the countless hours I've spent writing in a quiet university library. While sitting next to a study buddy (mutual accountability is a great work incentive) affect your best cartoonish voice and try out your most ambitious ventriloquist act. The more outlandish the better. Watch your friend recoil in horror as everyone in earshot looks his or her way. Feign shock and ignorance to protect yourself from rebuke.

No comments: